The rapid and dramatic effects of COVID-19 on the World economy are worse than 2008-09, around 195 millions jobs are at stake.
- Every 4 out of 5 people in the global workforce are affected by COVID-19 breakout.
- Productive hours of workers have declined by 4.5% in the last 90 days compared to the previous 90 days of 2019.
Most affected sectors
Workers in 4 sectors that have experienced the most “drastic” effects of the pandemic and falling production are
- Food and accommodation (144M)
- Retail and wholesale (482M)
- Business services and administration (157M)
- Manufacturing (463M)
Together, they add up to 37.5% of global employment and this is where the “sharp end” of the impact of the pandemic is being felt now, the ILO chief added.
This story was originally featured on the News.un.org